1. Have a shallow depth of field this will help frame your shot. I would suggest shooting anywhere from a 1.8 aperture to a 2.8
2. Look at the big picture first and then break down the individual parts, look for individual parts that will create a story and capture the mood of the big picture.
3. Capture components that would not be seen from afar. For example the lace on wedding dress usually will be drowned out from all the other details within the shot.
4. Shoot from different angles and perspectives. This includes different lighting, colour schemes etc.
5. Do not include faces within detail shots, this distracts from the detail you're trying to focus on.